NSS Hindu College, Changanacherry, the earliest among the institutions of higher education was established by the Nair Service Society in 1947. Its history, ever since its inception has been a story of quick growth and steady expansion. The college was first affiliated to the University of Travancore and subsequently to the University of Kerala. With the establishment of Mahatma Gandhi University, the College was affiliated to that University. The college is accredited with 'A' Grade by the NAAC on 27th November 2017 .
At its inception the college was housed in the NSS High School building at Perunna. In July 1949 Sri Panampally Govinda Menon, the then Minister for Education, laid the foundation stone of the massive structure which houses the college at present on the extensive piece of land adjoining the NSS Head Quarters. In January 1956 the formal opening of the college building was held with a fortnight long celebrations, inaugurated by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice-President of India and the college building was declared open by Sri. K.M. Munshi, the then Governor of Uttar Pradesh.
At present the college offers 14 Undergraduate courses and 11 Postgraduate Courses and 3 Add-on courses. There are three approved research centres attached to the Departments of Zoology, Malayalam and Hindi. It is a matter of great pride that the NAAC peer team has observed that the college has great potential to be an autonomous institution.