The Department of Commerce was started in the year 1952 with under graduate programme. It was upgraded to graduate level in 1955 and to Post Graduate level in 1962. During this period Commerce education was not available in any of the other colleges in the region. Young men and women craving for higher education in commerce viewed this college as the centre for fulfilling their aspirations. After more than half a century of functioning, the department adorns a prestigious place in the college. The department provides excellent coaching, opportunities for extra-curricular and other intellectual activities. The department has 8 permanent faculty members and one part time Law Lecturer.