The degree course in Chemistry was started in the year 1957 with Chemistry as the main and Physics as the subsidiary subjects. The qualifying exam for this course was the then pre-university and the duration was two years. This pattern was restructured in 1965 to a three-year course after passing the two-year pre-degree course. In the new system Mathematics was also introduced as a subsidiary subject. In the year 1995, the department introduced a UGC sponsored vocational degree course in ‘Food Science and Quality Control’. The course is run with the help of guest faculty with specialization in the concerned subjects and is coordinated by Dr. Anil Kumar of this department. In the same year the department was upgraded to a postgraduate department with the introduction of M.Sc. course in Pure Chemistry. The sanctioned strength of students for this course is 12 and in the year 2001 it was restructured and semesterized. There are 9 teaching members in the faculty. The department offers programmes at Graduate and Post-Graduate level.